- A Page From The 76th SEABEES
- Provided courtesy of
Patrick Thompson, the son of a 76th Seabee
- First general quarters for our
detachment on Palmyra. Past
- the tents can be seen part of the air
strip, the lagoon
- just beyond, and in the distance
a few of the many
- islands comprising Palmyra atoll.
- The Marine Post Exchange, the most
popular spot on the island. It was
- here we spent most of our Friday
afternoons, drinking our two cans
- of beer a day, or watching a
good prizefight staged by
- the Marine Recreation Officer.
- The lobby of the Transient Hotel
constructed on Palmyra by men of the 76th. Note mural
- on left of photo done my W. A.
Glasgow, former Hollywood artist. The building was built to
- accommodate transient airmen as they
made their way to forward areas in the South Pacific.
Jane's Polynesia Home Page
Jane's Micronesia Home Page
Jane's Melanesia Home Page
Jane's Oceania Home Page